Monument details

HER Number:4089/0/0
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:RAF Calveley Airfield

Summary

Originally planned as a fighter plane base, it was used mainly during the war to train fighter pilots. Various buildings survive in varying states of repair including aircraft hangars, control towers, Romney hut, seagull trenches and a pillbox. It was built in 1941 and decommissioned in 1946. It was opened in 1942 and run by RAF 21 group AFU in December 1944.

Airfields are large bases made for the takeoff landing and storage of aircraft. They have runways for the planes to land or take off on that can be grass, concrete or various other materials depending on the type of plane that needs to be landed. There were normally areas of hard material, such as concrete, called hard standings were the planes could be parked. The buildings normally associated with wartime airfields are Hangars, Control towers, Workshops and repair facilities, air raid shelters, battle headquarters, and defensive structures such as pillboxes, seagull trenches, Pickett Hamilton forts, and light anti-aircraft batteries (see separate records for descriptions of these buildings).


Parish:WARDLE, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • MILITARY AIRFIELD (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Protected Status:SHINE (Yes): Extant Structures and Earthworks at RAF Calverly



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund