Monument details

HER Number:1012/1
Type of record:Building
Name:Helsby Hall

Summary

In the 13th century Helsby was held as a demesne manor under the lordship of Dunham-on-the-Hill,by a family called Hellesby. Later it passed to Thornton and then to Frodsham. The earliest mention of the original, timber hall, was in a contract for the erection of additions in stone in the mid 15th century. The wooden part perished in a fire in the 16th century when it was leased to one of the Hatons of Helsby. The later hall probably derived its name from its proximity to the older site. It was built of brick at the end of the 18th century and was used as a farmhouse.


Parish:HELSBY, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Locally Listed Building: The Old Hall, Chester Road



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund